*** 2023 dates will be announced in early 2023 ***
Do you want to learn more about growing, harvesting and using medicinal plants? Are you a hands-on learner who loves the outdoors? Are you looking for an experienced teacher who is deeply invested in learning to be in relationship with the land based on reciprocity, humility and respect?
This 10 week introductory herbalism program is taught through both a sensory and scientific lens, designed to give you practical skills for integrating medicinal plants into your daily life. Ember also brings their anticolonial and anticapitalist values to their classes, with space to weave herbalism into a wider vision of liberation for all peoples.
The program will take place on the beautiful 80+ acre farm of Annapolis Seeds where we will tend herb gardens together, make herbal medicines, and delve deep into specific plants and foundational concepts of herbalism. You will walk away from this program with more confidence growing and using herbs, and more curiosity, respect and excitement for the incredible potential for healing that the natural world offers at your doorstep. No previous experience necessary.
10 Wednesdays, 10am-4:30pm, May 25-July 27
Annapolis Seeds Farm, Nictaux Nova Scotia
Topics covered include:
- Introduction to the history, ethics and approaches of herbalism
- Herbal actions and qualities guided by our senses
- How to harvest and use 20-30 local abundant plants
- Principles for making potent herbal preparations including tinctures, teas and topical applications from fresh and dry herbs
- Growing your own medicinal herbs
- Best harvesting practices and preparations for different herbs
- Ethical wild-harvesting
- Herbalist’s approach to anatomy and support for the nervous, immune, digestive, circulatory and respiratory systems
Early bird discount if you register by March 15th: $850 +hst. After March 15: $900 +hst Limited discounts available up to 50% off for low-income and BIPOC participants.
- This is a LIVE program. If you miss a class, it is your responsibility to get class notes from a classmate.
- While what you learn in this program may benefit your health, individualized health recommendations are not offered in this program.
- A deposit of $100 is required to hold your spot, which goes towards your tuition.
- Monthly payment plans are available, more information available upon registration.
- There will be some required textbooks and readings for homework, up to 1-2 hours per week.
- The number of people in the program will be about 8-12